Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mantel and How to Clean Soot Easily

IMG_2249

I wanted to join Donna’s Mantel Party at Funky Junk Interiors, but was embarrassed by all the soot inside my fireplace.  We have gas logs and we know how to use them!  We keep our fireplace on every day that we are home during the winter.  Home is our favorite place to be and in the winter we love to sit by the fire.  So I guess that is why it gets so dirty.   Yes it is about to be August and I have yet to clean it until today!  I know, I am lazy.

I decided to get out my dry sponges that remove soot.  It took me about 10 minutes to clean it up.  Why didn’t I do this in March???

Here is the before.

IMG_2239

IMG_2253

They look like this and I found mine online.  One is new and one is used. 

IMG_2240

  I believe some hardware stores carry them.  This website here has some great info on how to use them. 

So back to my mantel.  I love the simplicity and symmetry of it.  I painted the mirror with rub on paint to make it look darker.  I am sure spray paint would work well too.  It use to be bright gold.  The only time I ever change it is Christmas.  I did add a wreath to the mirror not long ago, but got tired of it.  When I see all the beautiful mantels out there I do get tempted to change it up a bit so I just might someday.  The oak trim in here is on my to do list.  Gosh that list is long. 

IMG_2248

signature2

Linking to

Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors

Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails